Monday, March 24, 2008

Fashion & Cancer

I am currently undergoing treatment for lymphoma and although fashion might not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of cancer, I find that it is a fun diversion (thus this blog!) For better or for worse, women have a lot wrapped up in personal appearance and chemo's side effects' impact on physical appearance - hair loss (including eyelashes and eyebrows), strange skin, scars - can be especially hard for that reason. In the midst of all that, putting a little effort into fashion can cheer you up.

My stomach bothers me constantly so I never want to wear anything tight around my middle. As a result I have developed a uniform of cozy layers. I think of it as kind of a Bohemian look.
1) Tunic sweaters and long cardigans- being at home so much is fueling my eBay cashmere obsession
2) Leggings, yoga pants, wide-legged pants and soft jeans.
3) Flats and equestrian- style flat boots (I've always been a heels girl but cancer changes everything...).
4) I don't mind my wig, since it actually looks better than my real hair did, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood, so I trade off between it and some pretty Russian-ish scarves.
5) Great cheap A-line coat from H&M - I can squash all of the layers underneath and still look semi-chic.

2 comments:

Sarah M. said...

I love wearing scarves on my head, but my friends make fun of me. I'm really impressed that you were able to turn something unfortunate into such a good thing fashion-wise! And those are lovely boots! I came across your blog through the ebay lucky mag one, and it's always nice to find other boston blogs.

Jessie O said...

Most of my pre-cancer clothes high light the fact that I have great cleavage. The insertion of my Hickman line is both a blessing and a curse because a) most of my clothes reveal it, but b) my nurses have easy access to it without me having to take off my shirt.

My favorite shirts right now are button ups that I wear largely unbuttoned. It often obscures the hickman while still creating the deep v that I need to keep my chest from looking like a vast sea of boob-age.

I rock the bald look all the time. For some reason I look cheesy in scarves and big earrings.